RE: [ga] RE: DNSO Constituency Structure

Patrick,

I also think Danny did a very good job in discussing consensus in the
message to reference below.  In fact I personally complemented him in this
regard after first reading it.

But, whereas I do believe that structurally changes could definitely improve
the consensus development process, I do not agree that the problems are
primarily structural versus procedural.  Regardless of what structural
changes are made, if clearly defined processes and procedures are not put
into place, we will find ourselves right back where we are now.  In a global
and hugely diverse environment like the Internet, consensus will always be
hard to reach.  Therefore, if there are not clearly defined policies and
procedures with regard to what should be expected outcomes of the consensus
development efforts, it seems highly unlikely that it will be successful.  I
personally believe that is why many people currently are trying to take
shortcuts with regard to consensus development (e.g., task forces).  They
are easier and take less effort and it's not too hard to convince some
people that they are legitimate, but in reality they are a far cry from what
the bylaws and contracts between ICANN and registries demand.

Chuck