[ga] "...Let consumers speak..." ???

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@verisign.com>

> VeriSign (Actually NSI at the time) negotiated very specific language into
> the agreements to ensure that policy would not arbitrarily be implemented.
> I strongly believe that that is a protection for registries and registrars
> in general, not just VeriSign.  Our position has been consistent over the
> last three years.  We will implement consensus spolicies but if there is not
> consensus, let market forces work.  Let consumers speak through their
> wallets.

It seems that a statement like this is easy to make, when you are sitting
on an annual feed of $6 per name for 30,000,000 consumers. That is
a revenue stream of $180,000,000 for a task that most companies could
likely do for $10,000,000 max. That would seem to indicate that you
have $170,000,000 in profit to live quite nicely, travel to ICANN meetings
at will, and to invest in whatever venture catches your fancy.

Meanwhile, the out-of-touch ICANN Board of Directors, helped
to take $50,000 from about 40 companies last year (some small), and
then proceed to limit them from competing with you, or your counterparts
in other registries. It would be very interesting to hear how you or anyone
thinks that situation is fair. It is sad that the U.S. Government, has no
mechanism for stepping in to end this travesty.

The only people who can change the situation are the companies and
consumers who will have to work together to start over and to
build a Next Generation Internet. Yes, they will have to do that without
the gold-plated servers, or a $10,000,000 per month cash-flow, but
they may have more fun and more of an appreciation for what they
build, and consumers may reward them with modest returns for the
services they provide. Some of those services will help those consumers
to route around what has to be one of the sad chapters in the history
of mankind.

Jim Fleming
http://www.IPv8.info
IPv16....One Better !!