Re: [ga] Consensus & Names Council Task Forces

For the record www.democracy.org.nz/idno/financial.hm

>   Of course not, that would imply responsibility and a true commitment to a
>cause.

It does.

>  Perhaps we should just pretend that the $14,000 annual dues will
>magically appear or be graciously waived by the other constituencies that
>have conscienciously put their money up.

No pay, no play, eh?
This ticket price could be raised from the Markle Foundation that has a
program of promoting democratic decisionmaking in ICANN in place.
The pump of democracy needs to be primed first. ICANN is well aware of that.

When members see that they are actually being listened to in the new DNSO
structure, they know that they *are* getting something for a membership
fee: results.

>  You can talk about restructuring as
>much as you like but there will never be a self-funded individuals
>constituency in the DNSO because there is no motivated membership, there are
>only those that use the cause of registrants to promote their own
>self-interest.

This is unjust to a number of people that I would not hesitate to name by name.

There is all sorts in our constituency.
Motivated members, idealists, participating spectators, observers, lurkers
, flamers,  government agents, ICANN agents, people who would stand to
benefit from the demise of ICANN, crackpots, tyrants-in-spe,
leaders-in-spe, schoolyard bullies, name speculators, name resellers,
people who have suffered Domain Name hijack attempts and bush-lawyers.

Creating a fair mechanism to give each individual  a fair amount of input
is not trivial.

<bitterness snipped>

>It's easy to be a critic of ICANN.  It's harder to support its mission and to
>work to get things done.  Soon you will have a new Chair and Alt. Chair for
>the General Assembly... I offer them my sympathies.

Danny, I nominated you for this thankless job. I'm sorry, I thought you
knew what you were in for.
It's true, for the job of unpaid GA Chair, candidates without Messiah
complex need not apply.

--Joop