Re: [ga] RE: Consensus development process

Eric and all assembly members,

  I don't believe a "Council" is needed or even desired.  To have one
takes the decision making out of the hands of the GA Members
or stakeholders and puts it into a the hands of a few.  We have
a voting mechanism that can be used and has been used to
affect such decisions by the GA members.  It works.  It
could of course be improved.  But it does work.

Eric Dierker wrote:

> In case anyone cares, ME TOO.
>
> This is why I propose a GA council.  If we have hundreds of members and only a
> handful or two of participants.  Let us formalize it so the participants can
> be held accountable and real work be achieved.
>
> Heck, if we form a council that can pass resolutions and create consensus
> mandate on a practical level we can move forward. And when we move forward it
> will be with the will of the people and any top - down opposition can be
> immediately identified as such.
>
> Sincerely,
> Eric
>
> Jefsey Morfin wrote:
>
> > On 02:26 26/11/01, Eric Dierker said:
> > >"legitimacy in terms of representation of all stakeholders"  Needs to be
> > >changed
> > >to all interested stakeholders.
> >
> > Dear Eric,
> > here is the difference between consensus and democractic process. In
> > democracy you make sure that every people is represented. In consensus (as
> > per the new social model or "me/we" model) you try to make sur that every
> > piece of concern for every people is represented. Like in a Courts, when
> > thousands of people may sue one corporation: each of the party is
> > represented by a small lawyers team.
> >
> > What counts is not the number but the quality (competence, scope) of the
> > "champions". This is also why 2/3 is only a rough rule taking into account
> > that many people may vote against their own position if they see that the
> > resolution is not a real consensus and will create more problems than it
> > will solve. 2/3 are no consensus, but it can be accepted as a good test if
> > voters are responsible people and if all the process outlined by Danny is
> > followed.
> >
> > This is certainly appropriate to the ICANN ICP production and to a serene
> > management as per the MoU. It is not for the mission creep.
> > Jefsey
> >

> > --

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827