Re[2]: [ga] Domain Transfers

At 10:01 PM 12/12/2001 -0800, William X Walsh wrote:

>Oh please, you want to make transfers impossible Kristy?
>
>Registrars employ secure means, and for almost all of them, the
>Administrative contact is the only one who is allowed to authorize a
>domain transfer from one registrar to another.

Well, personally, I agree that the Administrative Contact only should have
authorization for such a move.

>Also, stop thinking so US Centric.  The domain industry has to work
>for registrants from all over the world, access to affordable notary
>service is something that is much rarer outside the industrialized
>western countries.  Your plan would make the costs of transferring a
>domain name prohibitively expensive to gain a security that is really
>far and above what is necessary to provide for secure transfers.

Okay, I know in the US I can walk into any bank and have paperwork
notarized for no fee.

I have no idea what the situation is outside the US as I've never used the
service while traveling abroad.  It would be helpful if those who know
could add to.

I am absolutely opposed to the idea that any Registrar would not require
authorization from their client to modify any information concerning any
domain registered between them.  The power must reside in the consumer's
hands within this policy.

~k