RE: Re[2]: [ga] Domain Transfers

That's exactly my point. Note that I have had my share of criticisms, of
NSI, in the past. Also, the NSI DDRP is what got me involved in these issues
in the first place. But, that was before your time.

|> Funny, you use the one Registrar who has been the most gross offender
|> of the anti-transfer tactics, and then use the existence of such
|> tactics as a reason to stay with them.

If you look at it from a risk minimalization view, it makes sense. In that
regard, the tactics are working. I never claimed that they didn't.

|> That's rather like saying that the reason you stay a customer of a
|> company is because their customer service is the worst.

Not at all. Yes, it's a hostage situation. No, we don't think that $35US is
worth risking the business for. Add a couple of zeros to that and I will
assuredly change my mind. MHSC has had enough of externally caused outages
for one year, thank you. $40 per name server got us adequate expedited
service when our upstream went out of business, last 8Feb01 (a date I will
never forget), from NSI. Total outage was almost 8 weeks. MHSC lost a lot of
business over that (speaking of ISPs, SpeakEasy sux) and our new ISP isn't
as capable.

|> You are no safer at NSI Registrar, in fact the argument can easily be
|> made that you are in the most danger at NSI Registrar, who have had
|> the largest incidences of domain hijackings, even to this day.
|> Further, you are no safer with them as a result of Verisign
|> owning the
|> NSI Registrar and the Registry, since the NSI Registrar uses
|> the EXACT
|> same interface as all other registrars, with no inside advantage.
|> There is no inherent benefit at all, except in your imagination.

That is where you are wrong. As has been documented in this very forum,
changing registrars is fraught with risk. Risk that MHSC is not prepared to
add onto the risks that we are already taking. I pay a whole lot more than
$35US for Liability, Errors, and Omissions coverage. We've had our primary
domain since 1995, it isn't going anywhere (although, Adam keeps asking to
buy it). An error in transfer will take MHSC down for the duration of that
error. This time period is typically measured in weeks. That costs
significantly more than $35US. The status quo is stable and I'd like to keep
it that way.