Re: [ga] Domain Transfers

On 15 Dec 2001, at 11:37, Ross Wm. Rader wrote:

> > Transfer to another registry would involve a lot more
> > than it does now because of title, which would have to be recognized
> > internationally.  It would no longer be a service.
>
> ? I wasn't aware that names could be tranferred between registries. Can
> you elaborate?

This was something to which I responded from Jefsey's post.  I don't
know of any way to "transfer" a name from registry to registry.  Jefsey's
idea seemed to be that domain names would be recognized
internationally in
all registries.  I disagree.  Having title in one registry would not confer
title in others - even duplicates.

> > There is also the issue of duplicate TLDs and therefore duplicate
> > domain names.  Since ICANN has determined that they have the right to
> > duplicate them, and it is now becoming common practice, several people
> > could have rights to identical domains.
>

> erm. There are no duplicates Leah. computer.biz.icann is inherently
> different that computers.biz.pacroot. There can only be one name per root
> with the same attributes in the same way that two pieces of matter cannot
> occupy the same space. Please don't short-circuit your roots by
> interconnecting them. This breaks things. For anyone that might be
> interest in more of my views on this subject, you might want to check out
> the piece that Tim Denton & I wrote on the subject. It still needs some
> polish, but the basics are there..."A Case For Predictable Driving" -
> http://www.byte.org/predictable-rules-denton-rader-171001.pdf

I disagree here also only because there are inherent problems with
protocols.  Email is a real problem with a duplicate TLD registry.  Other
problems with confusion (which domain will resolve in which root?) are
also
an issue.

It is not a matter of interconnecting roots, but maintaining unique names
in the name space that includes all roots.  Roots don't have to carry all
TLDs, but those they do carry should not duplicate those in other roots.
We now have a situation where duplications are rampant and we have to
deal
with it.

> > Before anyone says that the so-called alt.TLDs are not legitimate and
> > the ICANN TLD is the legitimate registry, check the recent Arizona
> > court decision transferring three domains from one registrant to
> > another within the ARNI .biz registry that is operated by The
> > PacificRoot.  The court order says "all registries, all roots, all
> > registrars." Arizona Superior Court: Case Number cv2001-018340
>
> "No cases were found for the name CV2001-018340."

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/newdocket/docketformmain.asp

Arizona Superior Court: Case Number cv2001-018340

I had no problem finding it, but to get the actual documents, you have to
send for them and it costs $$.  They are not online.

This is the information available on the website:

Case Number: CV2001-018340 Judge: STEINLE
Plantiff: ELITE ENTERPRISES LLC Case Type: CIVIL
Defendant: ARUN PRASAD Filing Date: 10/19/2001
Defendant DOB:
Location: CENTRAL PHOENIX
P# Name Rel S BarID Attorney
001  ELITE ENTERPRISES LLC  PLA N 006464  PETER STROJNIK
002  ARUN PRASAD  DEF M PRO PER
003  TRUST DEED INVESTMENT LLC  PLA N 006464  PETER
STROJNIK
Filing Date Description Docket Date
12/07/2001 JUDGMENT P1-2
 JUDGMENT: NOTICE OF FILING AND ENTRY PROVIDED TO THE
PARTIES
 2 PGS
11/07/2001 STIPULATION FOR JUDGMENT 11/21/2001 6464 P3
11/01/2001 AMENDED COMPLAINT 11/05/2001 6464 P1,3
 FIRST
10/19/2001 CERT ARBITRATION-NOT SUBJECT 10/23/2001 6464 P1
10/19/2001 COMPLAINT 10/23/2001 6464 P1 PD

Leah