[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Board Positions on .ORG

Milton and all

  Well almost right here Milton.  My take on it is that the ICANN
BoD voted to NOT restrict for-profits from bidding so as to insure
that for-profit corps./bidders will have the better chance of receiving
the bid and therefor be able to keep their control of their associated
non-profit affiliates registered in .org as non-profits as well as
set up registration rules that could eliminate many legitimate
registrants from registering Domain Names in .org such as
ICANNSUCKS.ORG or some such similar Domain names
that are currently registered.

Milton Mueller wrote:

> Let me see if I have interpreted the Board's position correctly.
>
> The Board does not believe that either itself or the community
> could tell the difference between a "sham" non-profit governance
> entity and a real one.
>
> And so, in order to eliminate the risk of for-profits gaining
> control of .org under a "sham," it decided to invite for-profits
> to apply for it openly.
>
> Is that about right?

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827