[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Board Positions on .ORG

Jamie and all,

James Love wrote:

> Milton, In fairness to the board and the ICANN staff, "the community" isn't
> a very precise concept, and there has been a lot of evidence that for profit
> groups have offered to finance front groups to bid for .org.

  Good point.  But I think Milton's reference was understood regardless.

>  I also don't
> think the board or the ICANN staff is acting out of bad motivation, even if
> I disagree with some things they have done.

  With all due respect Jamie, I am not sure this is true.  In some recent
instances, I along with many others are quite sure from certain
BOD and staff members statements and actions closely following
those statements, they have indeed acted in purposeful bad faith or
are prone to doing so.  Some of Alejandro's comments just yesterday
are examples, for instance.  I also cannot reasonably except that with
all the input that they receive and have received before every single
ICANN meeting, that they are acting out of ignorance either.
Recent events with the .ORG and now again with .BIZ and .INFO
come to mind as presented by Richard Hinderson and others.

>  If we are focusing on the .org
> issue, and also on the relationship between the DNSO and the board, would it
> be useful to respond to the board's legitimate concerns, no matter how
> awkwardly they were presented, and move this forward in a way that allows
> the DNSO process to be respected, while allowing the board to ensure that
> the bid is handled in a way that is creditable and fair?

  I would say both yes and no here.  Yes if and only if the BoD is going to
in advance respect any TF's recommendations as required in part by the
Bylaws as Karl earlier pointed out on three separate occasions.  No,
if they are not.  And if they are not, than as our members have indicated
it is time for the DOC/NTIA to take drastic steps or for congress to
act (Hearing as you know are being arranged).

>   I think this is
> something that can be done, if both sides are willing.   Jamie

  The key is "If both sides are willing".  I believe that the stakeholders
have demonstrably shown from the beginning of the ICANN formation
that they are more than willing.  I cannot say the same for the Boardsquaters,
and many of the ICANN Staff...

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827