Re: [ga] NC BS

Thursday, May 16, 2002, 1:17:55 PM, James Love wrote:

> [...]
: >> What do you intend to do about people who register to vote in the GA,
> and
: >> are "real", unique persons, who are interested in global DNS policy, and
: >> follow the GA discussions on via the archives, as many do?  What would
> be
: >> the logic of excluding them as GA voting members?  Jamie
> :
> : Because the rules specifically state that they are not GA members.
> :
> : There is no logic involved, it is a simple fact.

>     If that is the rule, and "there is no logic involved," should the rule
> be changed?    The GA list generates dozens of messages on some days, and
> this is really too much for many people.   It isn't as if they are somehow
> less qualified, they maybe have other demands on thier time and bandwidth
> than following *all* of the traffic.   Which is why some people I know use
> the archives to keep up, when something interesting is actually happening.

Being a part of a group such as this is not just a privilege, it is a
responsibility.

It isn't about "qualified" or not.  If they cannot remain members of
the list, then they are not members of the assembly.

It is easy enough in just about every modern email client for average
users to filter emails from lists such as this one into their own
folder.  Then they can select which ones to read, if any, when they
come in each day.  The barrier to being a voting member is a small
one, and I don't feel it is reasonable to say that it is too high a
barrier.  It is a quite simple and quite small commitment to make.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>
--