Re: [ga] NC BS

Jonathan and all assembly members,

Jonathan Weinberg wrote:

> At 04:22 PM 5/16/2002 +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> >On 2002-05-16 15:16:59 +0200, Philip Sheppard wrote:
> >>   1. Identify the stakeholders who should participate in ICANN   policy
> >> development.
> >>   2. Factor those stakeholders into a policy development body.
> >>   3. Have a consultation mechanism for the rest of the world.
> >
> >The rest of the world being those who should not participate in
> >policy development, such as individuals like Alexander and myself? ;-)
> >More seriously,
>
>          But that *is* a serious question.  There are two sets of ways one
> can try to draw a line between "stakeholders" and "rest of the world."  In
> the first set, Thomas and Alexander are not deemed stakeholders and
> therefore may not participate in policy development, except to offer
> meaningless comments after the effective decisionmaking is done.  If the NC
> members want to defend that system on its merits, they should do so.  In
> the second set, Thomas and Alexander are deemed stakeholders, and other
> individuals are not, because, well, Thomas and Alexander are more
> intelligent and responsible than those other individuals.  That line isn't
> workable.

  As far as I can see neither of these tow is workable.  The first simply
because both Thomas and Alexander ARE stakeholders/users.  This
may be an unfortunate circumstance that all of us have to live with,
but live with it we must.  The second is not workable only in part
because of the reason you gave Jonathan.  Another is that the
MoU and the White paper as well as the already known consensus
of stakeholders/users demands that Thomas and Alexander
and not the ONLY TYPE of stakeholeder/user, but that
any and all interested parties ARE stakeholders/users and
therefore are required to have the opportunity to have a voice
AND a VOTE!

  Now this all yet again said, known, and broadly excepted as
well as mandated, we all know that the present as well as
past ICANN BOD and most of the ICANN staff do not
wish or desire just any old stakeholder/user to actively
participate and have a VOTE.  So yet again we can
clearly see that Jamie's motion for a rebid has been
borne of failure from the ICANN BOD and staff's
own intractableness and comprehension of their
own mandate...

> Jon Weinberg
> weinberg@msen.com

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827