Re: Membership criteria - was [ga] NC BS

Gary and all assembly members,

Gary Osbourne wrote:

> At 03:30 PM 17/05/02 -0700, Kent Crispin wrote:
>
> >Probably.  IP interests are remarkably organized and
> >effective, and they wouldn't be that way if they were
> >uninformed.
>
> The Boy Scouts, the Teamsters Union, the Yakuza,
> are all remarkably organized and effective, why
> don't they have BoD seats? Any of those interests
> would know as much about the technical security
> and stability of the internet as IP lobbyists.

  This is all so.  But first of all Kent is out to lunch
on his missive statement.  If you doubt that, just
check the APNIC list archives for yourself.
Right now APNIC is ins some serious disarray
regarding many IP related issues.  As an APNIC
member myself, I am quite surprised at Kents
nearly totally false statement.
for confirmation.

> Is it because, as Jonathan Cohen said at Accra:
> "We're in the White Paper. End of story."
> IOW, we were here first so we get to vote...and
> now you don't, because you're not informed enough.

  Yeah well this has been Kent Crispins line for a number of
years.  Of course it is utter nonsense...

> >The existing rules for voting in a US federal election don't say that
> >you have to be informed, either, but to vote in a US election you have
> >to either 1) go through a very arduous and lengthy process to become a
> >citizen, part of which includes being tested on you knowledge of US
> >governmental structures; or 2) be born a citizen and wait 18 years, 12
> >years of which usually involve instruction in US governmental structure.
>
> I've been online over 18 years. How many IP lobbyists
> can say that? But I can't vote even in the GA unless
> I understand some (possibly deliberately) obscure rules?

  Good point.  But you see, Kent seems to be of the belief that
he has the superior intellect and level of intelligence.  Yet
he at time masquerades as other people as he has done on the
DNSO GA list...

> Aren't you rather ethnocentric? How is it that democracy
> works elsewhere in the world where there isn't such
> instruction (Canada, for a nearby example)? How is it
> that countries around the world first come to embrace
> democracy without 12 years of prior instruction? How
> is it that after all that the US does to ensure informed
> voters, the election of the US leader comes down to
> counting (or not) hanging chad? It was instructive for
> the rest of the world to watch the US electorate become
> informed about WaterGate, Iran-Contra, the Oral Office...
>
> >One of the major justifications for a public education system is to have
> >an informed electorate; the dangers of an uninformed electorate are
> >well-known.
>
> You're still using the terms informed and uninformed
> without definition. Now you add unspecified well-known
> dangers. The worries that the rabble is at the gates
> waving ballots that would make John Zuccarini the next
> BoD chair are far overblown. Dan Parisi didn't get
> enough endorsements to run for election. The at large
> electorate instead elected Karl, with Barbara the
> first runner up. It would seem a supposedly uninformed
> electorate is a danger only to bad actors and entrenched
> vested interests, not democracy.
>
> >There has been, in my experience, at least one obvious attempt in prior
> >elections to "stuff the ballot", (or, as a friend put it "engage in an
> >exceptionally vigorous grass roots registration campaign").  In that
> >case the result wasn't affected by the attempt; the watchdogs decided it
> >wasn't worth invalidating the election over.
>
> You cannot imagine how chilling it is to learn
> that you are in a position to decide whether my
> vote constitutes the equivalent of hanging chad. -g

  What is even more chilling to me is that now Kent is
a ICANN staff technical member.  And Steve Crocker
a relative of Dave "D'Crock" Crocker...  It's nearly
a couple of chapters in a horror novel...  What's
next for these deprived personages of the ICANN
Elite I wonder???

  I remember a line from the movie Apocalypse Now.
"It's the horror...  It's the horror..."

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827