Re: [ga] Re: Temporary Suspension of Batch Delete Process

Greg and all assembly members,

Consulting First wrote:

> At the url:
> http://www.icann.org/announcements/icann-pr10aug01.htm
>
> It states in part:
> ICANN's Domain Name Supporting Organization has already been advised of the
> situation and has begun to discuss possible measures for handling expiring
> names. Members of the community are urged to participate in the DNSO's
> discussions, so that all viewpoints can be considered in developing measures
> for fair allocation of expiring names.

  First of all this is a false statement.  "Members of the Community" are
continually thwarted to participate through various means from participating
in the DNSO GA as is evident in the archives of this ML.

> Is this where the discussion is?

  It is one place where the discussion is supposed to be, yes.  And indeed allot

of discussion and debate, even some resolutions have been put forward as
motions, but were never recognized by the Chairs to date.

>  In my opinion, it looks more like VeriSign
> Global Registry Services is calling all the shots under the pretense of it
> being open for discussion.  A discussion would seem to involve some talk
> about a response instead of just rehashing a previously sent email.

  Good point.  We agree.

> Danny made a good point.  Why not just sanction registrars abusing the
> system?

  First of all, who would do the sanctioning, and how?  Second the ICANN
BoD and staff under the MoU and White Paper are supposed to have
oversight for these matters, yet no matter how many complaints are
sent, no action or sanction is taken.  Third according to the Registrar
and now Registry contracts/agreements, the only sanction available is
for the respective Registrar or Registry, is removal of accreditation.

>  For example, if you have some people breaking the speed limit in a
> car, you pull them over and give them a ticket.  Seems like this is another
> making of a mountain out of a mole hill.

  I disagree with your conclusion based upon what sanctions are available.
However I agree with you example of a possible remedy.  A fine, such as
is usually corresponding with a speeding ticket, would be appropriate
for the violation of these incidents.  However no provision within the
Registrar or Registry contracts/agreements exists, nor is an enforcement
mechanism in place to levy such sanctions presently.  As such the Registrars
and Registries can go about their abuses unimpeded.

> Regards,
>
> Greg Abrams
> Consulting First, Inc.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827