Re: [ga] FW: ICANN meeting in Montevideo

The "should" is ICANN.  Any internal structure organization within
ICANN should be funded by ICANN.  If not, then ICANN should
separate the SOs from itself and recognize self-formed
organizations that represent segments of the internet community
world wide.  Of course, doing that would open the doors for the
greater community to influence policy at ICANN for the greater
good - a frightening concept for the power brokers.

I think the point is that the structure needs change, but in the
meantime, ICANN has seen to it that only certain segments have a
voice in policy making and those the ones who have the money -
IP interests and major corporations.  DN holders, Noncoms and
users are the poor relations and ignored.

"Pay to play" is no better than the feudal system of the middle
ages.  ICANN supports a club of the monied special interests and
will continue to do so if allowed.  However, it will take more then
rhetoric on the GA list to effect any change.

The problem, as I see it, with the GA is that it is not in a position
to have any influence on ICANN policy without DNSO restructuring.
 Until then, who or what entity or entities will fund it?  It's a catch-
22.

Meanwhile, the game goes on.  There are those in the GA who are
working diligently to effect change and are being fought at every
turn by those who want to see the status quo and disenfranchise
all but those power brokers.  Nothing changes.

Jeff is right on the one hand.  To get anything done, find a way to
fund the GA and rally behind it.  But at the same time, find a way
to restructure to give it a place where its voice counts and perform
serious outreach to increase the volume of its voice.

Leah