Re: [ga] GA/DNSO Funding Issues

A slight follow up: what's lost in text is emphasis -- my original
had that expanding connectivity was <em.> in fact </em> the
core mission given to ICANN by the USG. The reason that
that part of the mission was dropped is that there's no money
in it for ICANN sponsors, my usually cynical Sunday evening
mind tells me.

I should also add that, as you have yourself frequently indicated,
there really is <em> nothing </em> that it is "our call to make."
I'm also an ISOC member, but that others are working on
the matter is no excuse for ICANN not to be.

Bill

Roeland Meyer wrote:

> Bill, we have here a classic boundary problem. There are a number of other
> entities that are taking on the access issues. One of those that I belong to
> is the ISOC (www.isoc.org). Also, the ICANN is supposed to be a technical
> coordination body. What you advocate here would constitute mission-creep,
> because it falls in the realm of social services. Firstly, I don't think
> that ICANN can even do it. That's not the core business. Secondly, the
> resources aren't there. Thirdly, it's not our call to make.
>
> BTW, HTML mail is a bear to format a reply to.

The URLs for Best Practices:
DNSO Citation:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/gaindex.html
(Under "Other Information Documents"; "August 2001:
Proposal for Best Practices for the DNSO GA." This
page also includes much else about the DNSO.)
Part I:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BestPractices.html
Part II:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-flowchart.pdf
(Access to the .pdf file requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader,
available for free down load at
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.)
Part III:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-PartIII.html