[ga] Re: GA/DNSO Funding

At 20:19 -0500 8/27/01, Andy Gardner wrote:
>At 5:54 PM -0700 27/8/01, Mike Roberts wrote:
>
>>There are those who prefer that ICANN defer to the PSO in technical
>>areas,
>
>>From ICANN's main web page:
>
>"The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is a
>technical coordination body for the Internet."
>
>If ICANN is deferring to the PSO in technical areas, what exactly does the
>rest of ICANN do?

Andy -

Well, in theory, according to the White Paper and the Bylaws, the
Board is supposed to make decisions on the basis of bottom up
processes.  The quote below from Article VI says, " the Board shall
accept the recommendations of a Supporting Organization....".   I
don't know if that matches your understanding of "defer to" but it's
at least in the ballpark.

- Mike

"(e) Subject to the provisions of Article III, Section 3, the Board
shall accept the recommendations of a Supporting Organization if the
Board finds that the recommended policy (1) furthers the purposes of,
and is in the best interest of, the Corporation; (2) is consistent
with the Articles and Bylaws; (3) was arrived at through fair and
open processes (including participation by representatives of other
Supporting Organizations if requested); and (4) is not reasonably
opposed by any other Supporting Organization. "