Re: [ga] The position of the GA?

Danny and al assembly members,

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> So far there have been restructuring position papers put forth by the
> registrars, the business constituency, the gTLD registries, and the ALSC.
> The gTLDs have referenced the concept of the Open Forum (GA) in this
> statement:
>
> "If Supporting Organizations are created to reflect the views of particular
> groups, there should be some new cross-SO mechanism to facilitate inter-SO
> deliberation on policies that might affect various SOs and to generate
> documented consensus (on the basis of which the Board could take action)."

  Why is a "New" cross section mechanism needed  Danny?  Are the SO's
unable to develop their own mechanisms for deliberation on policies that
might effect them.  The "CC" in Mailing list for instance can be used between
these different SO's easily enough.

> The General Assembly membership should contribute to this debate as well.  I
> would ask those that have already shown an interest in this topic, Kent
> Crispin, David Farrar, Joop Teenstra, Ross Rader, and Tim Langdell, among
> others, to assist in leading a discussion that would result in a GA position
> paper.

  Kent Crisispin "Leading" in anything is a exercise in demonizing returns.
Many others are much better suited for leadership tasks.  Indeed though you
are quite right in suggestion that the GA take up a predominant position as
a group for a potential Task Force os some sort to elect a small Round
Table or GA Commission, whatever impressive sounding name you would
like to give it, to develop a position paper.  However I believe that
the possible divisiveness that would likely ensue from such a endeavor
would hamper it's progress and results unless any and all Interested
Parties or Stakeholders ( In other words ALL GA members) can
openly and transparently participate.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827