Re: [ga] Business Constituency and the GA

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 00:16:45 -0500, "Gomes, Chuck"
<cgomes@verisign.com> wrote:

>Peter,
>
>From a business point of view, gTLDs and registrars can make the same
>arguments.  If we do not effectively meet the needs of users we will not be
>in business long.  So again, I don't see any major differences in this
>regard.

I'm sorry but that is drawing far too strong a bow string.  Commercial
gTLD registries and registrars have a sole focus of maximising profit.
Now there is nothing wrong with that at all.   The fact one has to
keep customers happy to survive does not undermine that.  Also as a
gTLD registry is a natural monopoly one can well argue it does not in
any way have to meet the needs of users to survive.

A ccTLD sponsor does not have a sole focus of making a profit.  In
fact for .nz the over-riding priority is to serve the local internet
community.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com