Re: [ga] Domain Transfers

On 2001-12-13 16:13:02 -0500, John Berryhill wrote:

>No, it isn't.  Not by a long shot.  The main obstacle to obtaining
>a decent solution is the fact that the ICANN process puts policy
>making power into the hands of people who do not face the
>technical realities on a daily basis, and generally have no idea
>of what is really going on out there in the real world.

It's a pity you don't seem to be interested to participate in the
TF.

>There is a flip side to NSI's alleged "stickiness" in not letting
>domain names go, and that is the real problem of hi-jacking
>(forget "slamming" for the moment).  Asking Company B to verify
>that I am the authorized customer of Company A is an idea so
>dopey, that it could only have come from an ICANN "consensus"
>process.

The problem begins at Company A - which doesn't have reliable
information on the customer, either.  All they _actually_ know is
that someone pays for the domain. This someone could, however, be
quite different from the actual customer (occasionally, he is indeed
different from that customer - think hotmail.com).

--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/