Re[8]: [ga] Domain Transfers

Thursday, Thursday, December 13, 2001, 7:37:46 PM, L Gallegos wrote:

> Just because all incidents are not made public on this list, does not
> make it a non issue.  Out of millions of registrants, there are around 900
> subscribed to this list, not all of whom are domain name holders. This is
> a rather small group of people.  It is highly unlikely that registrars will
> make such incidents known here either.  It's not exactly in their best
> interests.

It's not just this list where I would expect to hear it. There are
news websites that deal with domain related issues quite extensively
where cases like this would be a GREAT story if they existed, plus
many other forum where people post problems relating to their domains.

There has been nothing public anywhere that I have ever found.

All the ones that people have put forward in the past ended up being
something very different, as I said earlier (e.g. races.com).

Actually it is in the registrars best interests, as it would be
something they would be harping on to get Verisign Registrar to fix it
, since that is the ONLY place where such a problem could exist if it
existed at all.   And even if there were issues with particular
registrars and transfers, believe me, the other registrars, in a
highly competitive industry, would be making those cases public.

There is no incentive for the registrars to keep quiet on these kinds
of cases if they existed.

Like Hugh, I've been a party to hundreds of domain transfers in the
last year, and never once have I seen or heard of a single thing like
this accusation.  And knowing the way the system works, there is
really no way that I can envision this problem existing.  The system
doesn't work that way.

> IMO, the bottom line is that in such a case, there has to be a guarantee
> that the domain will, in fact, not be lost to the registrant if transfer is
> initiated - for any reason.

And that is the current bottom line, there is no such issue.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>