Re: [ga] Re: Recall of GA Chair

Wednesday, Wednesday, October 03, 2001, 11:23:20 PM, Joanna Lane wrote:

> On a point of order, item 8, Recall of GA Chair, should not be included as
> an Agenda item for the Oct 11 NC meeting as this item was submitted too late
> to the Intake Committee - 17 days prior to the next meeting, which is less
> than the 21 days required by its adopted rules.

Why do you oppose elimination of one of the major roadblocks to the
GA's accomplishing anything?

What has Danny done for the GA, Joanna?  Specifics please.

Another person on this list who has posted in opposition of this item
this evening, has also stated to me that their opposition is not
because Danny has been an effective leader, but because "a poor leader
is better than none."  I believe this statement was made because of
what some were perceiving would be occurring at the AGM in MDR.  Now
that we know the GA will have little to no role in the affairs at the
AGM, and that the issues that the GA are considering will not be under
consideration at this time, this is the perfect time to get a new
leader, since we have plenty of time to do so, and to do it right.

The same person who made the above comment about a poor leader being
better than none, also made a comment that the recall of the GA chair
would mark the end of the GA, I say that the end of the GA has already
occurred unless we get an effective leader who can accomplish things
in much the fashion that you yourself, Joanna, believe things should
accomplish.  Danny does not properly guide or direct debate and
discussion on this list, nor does he engage in any constructive
activity to guide this group towards consensus.  He is more interested
in getting a few people to say they agree with something he posts
here, and then before more comment can be made, send it off as a
general consensus of the GA, using his position as a bully pulpit for
his own views, rather than working to help the GA get points of
consensus on the wide variety of issues of concern that can show the
GA can actually accomplish something.

I challenge anyone who opposes my request to tell me that our Chair
and Alt-Chair have been effective, and to do so with a straight face.
Opposing the request because you think a poor chair is acceptable,
rather than seeking something more than simply acceptable, is
irresponsible.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>