Re[6]: [ga] Business Constituency and the GA

Wednesday, Wednesday, November 21, 2001, 5:18:13 PM, Peter Dengate Thrush wrote:

>> I firmly believe the ccTLDs belong in the DNSO.
>>
> But you don't give any reasons, and, equally unproductively, you don't rebut
> any of the now-widely accepted reasons given by the cc's for the change that
> is now well underway.

Yes, I have, in response to you even in the past.  There is no
pressing reasons presented by the ccTLDs to support their argument.
They claim that the DNSO doesn't pay attention to ccTLD issues, but
they are also unable to provide specific examples of when the ccTLD
CONSTITUENCY brought forward those issues for consideration.  They
blame the DNSO and ICANN, when they have done little to promote the
issues themselves.

There is no evidence supporting the suppositions used by the ccTLDs to
demand a change like this.

> So, you are not advancing the argument, merely re-asserting an opinion.
> Accordingly,  I shall no longer respond to similar posts, as repetition of
> positions is simply unproductive.

No, I'm presenting the reality. That the ccTLDs are, and should be,
responsible for having their issues addressed.

When was the last time you brought up ccTLD policy concerns in the GA
for discussion and debate?

>> I also firmly believe that the ccTLDs are not, and should not be
>> assumed to be, under the control of the governments of the countries
>> the ccTLD codes represent.
>>
> This represents a major mis-undersatnding on your part. I suggest you begin
> by looking at the control your own government exerts over your own cctld,
> .US.

> After you've got up to speed on that, have a look at  Laos, Cambodia,
> Bangladesh and Australia for Asia Pacific examples.Then, try Peru and
> Argentina in South America.

>  Although be careful - some facts might affect the beliefs you so firmly
> hold.

I didn't say it wasn't happening, I said I didn't think it should be
automatically assumed, or that ICANN should just recognize that the
countries' governments have rights that they shouldn't have in the
namespace.

What ICANN is doing, and what I think is right, are very often
different, certainly in this case.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>