Re: [ga] Re: Outreach

Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

> ICANN is not here to address the economic development of
> developing countries.  That is not parts of its mission.

No, but we do need to be careful not to create unnecessary obstacles
by failing to consider the impact of policies on those efforts.

> Frankly, I don't care if the shoeshine boys of Vietnam can't
> afford a domain name (or internet access).

Once the infrastructure for the access exists, they can get .vn
names at whetever price the local authority sets, or someone
can start selling cheap 3LD.shoeshine.vn names, or whatever.

> ... I don't see how/why the ICANN needs
> to address (indeed cater to) the needs of the Third World
> Internet User, ...

The net may play a rather different role in the third world.
Less a rich person's toy or hi-tech workplace, more an alternative
to various things they lack -- libraries, phones, (in some places)
uncensored media, ...