Re: [ga] Re: Outreach

Andy and all assembly members,

Andy Gardner wrote:

> At 7:32 PM -0500 14/11/01, Sandy Harris wrote:
> >Once the infrastructure for the access exists, they can get .vn
> >names at whetever price the local authority sets, or someone
> >can start selling cheap 3LD.shoeshine.vn names, or whatever.
> >

> Until ICANN starts forcing .vn into one-sided contracts, and the U.S.
> starts leaning on them making them submit to the UDRP via trade agreements,
> thus allowing U.S corps to strong-arm domains away from them.

  If you read the bilateral trade agreements between the US and the Republic
of Vietnam you will find that they allow for a separate UDRP for handling
disputes regarding trade, including Ecommerce.  I read that as saying
that a "Universal UDRP" does not necessarily apply.  Given that is true,
Eric is right in trying to fight for his shoeshine boys to that extent.
My problem is that his so called "no such Dotcommers", are really
no such thing and such trade agreements are really not the purview
of ICANN per se.  Ergo, ICANN mission creep.

> --
> Andrew P. Gardner
> barcelona.com stolen, stmoritz.com stays. What's uniform about the UDRP?
> We could ask ICANN to send WIPO a clue, but do they have any to spare?
> Get active: http://www.tldlobby.com

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827